Sponsors – Businesses and Community Members

De Soto Fun Days 2019

Friday 21st 6PM to 9PM
Saturday 22nd -All Day
At De Soto Little Bridge Park

Thank You to our Sponsors!

Gold Level
Earlham Savings Bank

Silver Level
Xtreme Tree
Ketelsen RV
Ambro’s Roadhouse

Bronze Level
Core Physical Therapy
Mid American Energy
State Farm – Eric Sheppers
Delic Marble & Tile LLC
Baldon Hardware
Raccoon Valley Bank
Insurance Auto Auctions

Donations In Kind
Sumpter Pharmacy
Dwayne Dalen – Attorney


If you would like to make a donation to offset the cost of our celebration please contact City Hall at 515-834-2233

De Soto Fun Day 2021

De Soto Fun Days 2021 was a rousing success. It was held on Saturday September 18th at the Little Bridge Park in De Soto A fun time was had by all.

10:15 = Parade line-up (school parking lot)
11:00 = Parade (down Dallas St to Elm St)
11:30 = Food Trucks, Bouncy Houses, Zoomers
12:00 – 1:00 = Magician
12:00 – 2:00 = Kids Crafts (De Soto Library)
12:00 – 2:00 = Car Show (Olson’s Body & Paint)
12:00 – 3:00 = Balloon Artist
12:00 – 5:00 = Dunk Tank & Kids Water Fights (DS Fire Department)
1:00 – 3:00 = Bingo with prizes (Betterment Committee)
3:00 – 5:00 = Live Music – Exit 113 Band



De Soto Public Works

The De Soto Public Works Department provides many services throughout the city. They maintain and operate the water treatment plant and the waste water treatment facilities. They maintain the public owned properties such as the city cemetery, city hall, fire station, and the public works buildings. The De Soto Public Works Department is also in charge of maintaining city streets, and the parks and recreations areas including Little Bridge Park, and Hampton Field where baseball games are played.

The De Soto Public Works Department also maintains a concession stand at the Hampton Field. The concession stand is staffed during baseball games by volunteers. Proceeds from products sold go to the restock of the concession stand.

Reminders and Announcements
Property owners may park currently licensed automobiles, trailers, campers, boats and/or outdoor recreational vehicles on an approved parking pad placed in the rear or side yard. The property owner must complete a Parking Pad Site Plan Application, pay a $20.00 permit fee, and comply with all of the site plan requirements before receiving approval by the city. The parking of any automobiles, trailers, campers, boats and/or outdoor recreational vehicles in the front yard of any property is prohibited unless parked completely upon a driveway. Please review the ordinances, and the parking pad requirements below.

Rear and Side Yard Parking Ordinance
Rock Pad Parking Requirements and Site Plan Form

Public Notices
Monitoring Violation of the Water Testing Schedule
Reporting Violation -MRDL

2019 Water Quality Report – De Soto Iowa
2018 Water Quality Report – De Soto Iowa
2017 Water Quality Report – De Soto Iowa
2016 Water Quality Report – De Soto Iowa
2014 Water Quality Report – De Soto Iowa
2011 Water Quality Report – De Soto Iowa
2010 Water Quality Report – De Soto Iowa

Public Works Director
Dan Van Langen
Shop Phone: 515-834-2502
Cell: 515-208-0066

Public Works Employee
Nick Eckstein
Shop Phone: 515-834-2502
Cell: 515-208-0066

New to De Soto F.A.Q

Thank you for moving to De Soto.  We are a community that has our eye on the future while remembering our past.  We have many great things to enjoy in De Soto such as our award winning city park, our award winning library, and local businesses. 

Here are some of the more frequently asked questions.

Q. I am moving to town. Who do I contact for water, garbage collection, gas, electric, cable and telephone? How do I start utility service at my new address?
A. To obtain water and garbage collection services for your address in the city of De Soto, either visit City Hall at 405 Walnut Street or call 515-834-2233. An application form is available at the time service is requested. There is a $125.00 deposit required with the application. You will need to do this also if you move from a home address in De Soto to another within the city. MidAmerican Energy provides natural gas and electric services – call 1-888-427-5632, and MediaCom provides cable service – call 1-800-332-0245. Make sure to call the post office at 515-834-2014 to notify them of your move to De Soto.

Q. What are the payment options for the water and garbage bill?
A. Utility bills may be paid in person at City Hall. There is a secured mail slot to the right of the front door; or payments may be mailed to: City of De Soto, P.O. Box 100, De Soto, IA 50069. We also accept Visa or Mastercard at City Hall. Another payment option is to sign up for ACH. Your payment is automatically debited from your checking or savings account on the 15th of each month. Forms are available at City Hall.

Q. What can I do about a high water bill?
A. Water leaks are the usual culprits that cause an increase in your water bill. Usually leaking faucets or toilets cause an increase in water usage. To check for a leak in your toilet, add a few drops of food coloring to your tank during a period that the toilet will not be used. If the food coloring shows up in the bowl, you have a leak and you need some repairs. Even small leaks can be costly.

Q. Where do I register my children for school?
A. Contact the Adel-De Soto-Minburn Community School District (ADM) at 515-993-4285 for Elementary, 515-834-2424 for Intermediate, 515-993-4778 for the Middle School, and 515-993-4584 for the High School.
ADM Website

Q. What day is solid waste collection?
A. Waste Management is contracted by the city to pick up trash and recycling. Trash is picked up weekly, on Wednesday. Recycling is picked up every two weeks, on Wednesday. Each week on the monthly events calendar it shows whether it’s “Trash Pickup” week or “Trash and Recycling Pickup” week.

Waste Management observes the following six holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day. If a holiday falls on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday (prior to or on our normal service day), our collection day will be Thursday for that week. If the holiday is Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday, our collection day will not change. The holiday schedule is effective for both trash and recycling and only applies the week of the holiday. Service the week before and after the holiday will not be impacted.
Waste Management Website

Q. Do I need to license my dog or cat?
A. Yes, the city does require any dog or cat 6 months or older to be licensed annually. The license is effective from January 1 to December 31. The fee is $15.00 for an unaltered dog or cat and $5.00 for a neutered/spayed dog or cat. A $5.00 late fee is added after January 31 plus $2.00 for each additional month the license is not obtained. Licenses may be purchased at City Hall beginning December 1 for the following year. A current rabies vaccination certificate is required.
Animal Control

Q. What are the hours for City Hall?
A. Monday through Friday 7:30am to 4:00pm.

Q. Where and when does the City Council meet?
A. The City Council meets the third Tuesday of every month at City Hall, located at 405 Walnut Street. The meeting starts at 7:00 p.m. On occasion, the council schedules a special meeting. The public notice will be posted at least twenty-four hours prior to a meeting.
City Council

Q. Where and when are agendas and minutes posted?
A. The agenda is posted at least twenty-four hours prior to a city council meeting. The agenda is posted at: City Hall, post office, Earlham Savings Bank in De Soto and Casey’s. Minutes are posted on the city website and published within fifteen days in the Dallas County News.

Q. When is a building permit required?
A. Building permits are required for almost any construction on your property; adding a deck, fence, shed, garage, sidewalk or driveway. The City of De Soto contracts with the City of Waukee to perform building inspections. Applications are available at City Hall, and online.
City Ordinances, Permits & Forms

Q. Is the Little Bridge Park shelter available to rent for picnics, birthday parties, reunions, etc.?
A. Yes, the fee is $20.00 for up to 4 hours and $30.00 for over 4 hours. Contact City Hall at 515-834-2233 to make a reservation.

Q. Who do I contact about a streetlight that is out or flickering?
A. Go to www.midamericanenergy.com – Street Light Repair Request or call City Hall at 515-834-2233.

Q. I want to plant a tree or install a fence (or dig a hole for any reason), do I need to contact anyone?
A. Yes. Contact Iowa One Call at 1-800-292-8989 at least 48 hours in advance. They will schedule a time to locate all the power lines, cables, water and sewer lines. This call is free to the public.
– IowaOneCall Website